I love Shepherd’s Pie and was very excited to try this recipe. It was fabulous and I like to make mashed sweet potatoes ahead of time, portion them and freeze them. Doing this can save you some time with this recipe.
Paleo Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 lb. ground beef, raw
- 1 cup carrot, finely chopped (about 1 carrot)
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- ½ cup celery, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely diced
- ½ cup of beef broth
- 1 tsp barbecue sauce, (replaces Worcestershire sauce)
- Generous amounts of Salt & Pepper
- 1 sweet potato, peeled & diced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- On medium heat, in a frying pan, sauté carrots, onions and celery. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the ground beef, garlic and sprinkle generous amounts of salt and pepper.
- Cook until the beef is cooked.
- Add the broth and barbecue sauce. Cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Place everything in a 6 x8 oven proof dish.
- Place the sweet potato in a pot of salted water. Turn to a boil and cook until tender. *You can easily put a fork through the sweet potato.
- Drain and mash the sweet potato.
- Drop spoonfuls of the sweet potato over the beef mixture. Then spread it all over.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Broil on high for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.