I made this over New Years and it was fabulous! It was the perfect combination of sweet and spicy.
Note: I highly recommend wearing gloves when cutting the habanero. I didn’t and even though I washed my hands I totally burned my eyes when I rubbed them a few hours later!
Pomegranate Habanero Shredded Beef
- 3 lb beef chuck roast
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 small habanero pepper, seeded & chopped finely
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Pat the roast VERY dry with paper towels and season with the salt. You want the meat to be very dry so that a nice crust will form when you sear it.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, then add the ghee. Sear all sides for about 4 to 6 minutes each or until a golden brown crust forms.
- Turn off the heat, and add the habanero, beef broth, and pomegranate juice. Put the lid on the Dutch oven and put the pot into the oven.
- Bake for about 3 hrs or until the meat is very tender. Shred with two forks. It’s great served over roasted sweet potatoes.